HAMPSHIRE V SURREY - Specsavers County Championship - 18 July 2016
Surrey 637-7d. Hampshire 73-2.

Gareth Batty and Ben Foakes both scored centuries as Surrey piled on the runs and the records to drive relegation rivals Hampshire into the ground.

Batty and Foakes, 110 and 141 respectively, added a county record 222 for the eighth wicket as the visitors declared on 637 soon after tea.

In response Hampshire crumbled to 5 for two before recovering slightly to 73 for two at the close - still a massive 564 runs behind.

Left armer Mark Footitt was the thorn in Hampshire's side - bowling Will Smith for a golden duck with his first delivery, kissing the top of off stump.

Start of his second over he strayed slightly towards leg stump but Jimmy Adams clipped straight to Stuart Meaker at mid-wicket, the hosts up against it following five session in the sticky heat.

Meaker ended his first spell of seven overs two for seven.

Ryan McLaren, boosted to a nose bleeding inducing no.4 in the order, got away with two edges to the slips, dropped by Aaron Finch and Rory Burns, to reach 31 at stumps, ably accompanied in a 68 run partnership by Tom Alsop.

The hosts had just about edged a tight morning session as they grabbed three wickets as they hunted for bowling points.

Steven Davies was leg before to Gareth Berg and Finch, on a blustery 86, was lbw to McLaren.

All-rounder Sam Curran completed the trio of wickets to fall when he trundled down the track to give Lewis McManus his second stumping of the game.

But that was it in terms of smiles for the home side as the watched as runs flowed and records were broken.

Foakes, who is an outsider to solve the England wicket-keeper conundrum, did his international chances no harm as he appeared to bat without pressure.

The former Essex man was setting set new personal records, passing 2,000 Championship runs, 2,500 first-class runs and just before the declaration his highest format score - ending up on 141.

His fifty came off 102 balls, the next 50 needed just 47 more deliveries as he stepped through the gears - finding the boundary 19 times.

It was his sixth century, his skipper Batty was in the process of just his third - his career spanning 14 years more.

Batty had not scored a ton in 209 matches, dating back to 2006 and days in a Worcestershire shirt.

His was of an aggressive where possible type, enjoying two sixes clattering the stands, the much waited for three figures arriving in 132 balls.

In amongst all the run making was Mason Crane, forced to bowl a mammoth 51 overs in the sweaty weather - his analysis three for 210.

A dropped catch at first slip by Sean Ervine and a tired miss-field with the third new ball summed up the day, the declaration could not some soon enough.

The final score of 637 became the second highest total in the Ageas Bowl's 13 year history - and left Hampshire needing 488 to avoid the follow on.

Surrey wicketkeeper Ben Foakes: "It was a very good day and it was important for us to get a good first innings score and boss the game and I think we have done that. I have got a lot of stats this season and not gone on for whatever reason so it was nice to do it in this game - hopefully it will kick me on for the rest of the season.

"At one stage we were just looking at 400 for the extra bonus point but we forgot about that to get a big score. Battsy stuck with me to get a hundred. He's a great bloke to have at the other end. He enjoys batting despite what he would tell you and I am pleased for him.

"From what we found with the new ball we knew it would do a bit so it was good to get some in roads there - Footy bowled really well. We will toil a bit for tomorrow and see what happens. When you have 600-odd on the board it is a bit daunting and you know you have to bat well. Hopefully that puts us in a good position."

Hampshire director of cricket Giles White: "It was a very long day in the field. It is tough on a good wicket on a good wicket to bat on. I'm pleased with the way the bots stuck to their task but they are in a good position in this game.

"We rallied well from the early wickets and hopefully McLaren and Alsop can pile on a big partnership which is what we needed. We were looking to bat time and it was a good opportunity to dig in and get some big scores. We have a big batting line up and we have to make use of it.

"We bowled a lot of overs as a group and Mason stuck to his task. He is a young bowler learning all the time. It wasn't offering him a lot but he bowled well. If he was a bit luckier he could have got a few more wickets.

"Ryan has been batting as well as anyone and we felt with Liam being away for this game it is a like for like swap. It looks a good wicket and played that way but as the game goes on it might get uneven, hopefully for us it stays as it is.

"At this stage of the season playing for a draw is important for us. We will do everything we can to get that result."


Surrey batsman Ben Foakes did his England hopes no harm by reaching an unbeaten 135 - as the visitors ground Hampshire.

He was joined on three figures by captain Gareth Batty in a record breaking afternoon at the Ageas Bowl.

Surrey broke records for their highest score at the Ageas Bowl and highest eighth wicket stand - as the visitors piled on 662, Foakes and Batty adding 207.

Foakes, who went past 2,500 first class run, reached 135 at the break his century coming in 149 balls. Batty's in 132 balls and included two massive maximums, the captain on 101 at tea.

During the wicketless afternoon session, Mason Crane chalked up his 50th over of the innings.


Gareth Berg, Ryan McLaren and Mason Crane took a wicket each to keep Hampshire in the game but Surrey strode past 400 to cement their advantage on the match.

Berg was the first to strike in the morning session when he had Steven Davies plumb in front for 25 in the third over of the day - become the seamers' third scalp of the match.

Aaron Finch, who was almost out to Brad Wheal's first ball of the day attempting to flick off his legs, continued his punchy streak from day one.

The Australian added 30 to his overnight before becoming McLaren's first of the match - another to fall leg before.

The excitable Sam Curran breezed 16 before he was stumped by Lewis McManus but Ben Foakes and Gareth Batty took the visitors to 445 for seven at lunch.