Surrey Brown Caps 200 (45 Overs) v Glamorgan Dragons 132 (31.3 Overs). Surrey win by 68 runs.

It's official, Surrey are a one-man team and Azhar Mahmood is that man; at least that was the way it must have seemed to anyone turning up for the first time yesterday. The Pakistan all-rounder struck a career best 101 not out. Then he took the new ball, nipped out Glamorgan's opening pair and, moments later, held on to a throat-high chance at second slip to account for Michael Powell.

Unlike the Brown Caps, the Dragons lacked a batsman with Azhar's adhesive qualities and their reply continued to fall away until Mark Cosgrove found a useful ally in James Franklin. But there really was no way back for the Welshmen once Cosgrove holed out to deep mid-wicket in the 27th over. Azhar then returned to the attack and applied the coup de grace by dismissing Harrison and Davies to round off an incredible man of the match performance with bowling figures of four for 17.

In a match in which only one other batsman scored more than 26, Azhar struck his second hundred in one-day cricket off just 96 deliveries. It included four sixes and nine fours and keeps alive Surrey's faint hopes of finishing top of the South Conference in this season's Cheltenham & Gloucester Trophy.

When Azhar came to the crease in the eleventh over his side were in all kinds of trouble at 37 for five. Jonathan Batty had gone to the fourth ball of the innings. Then, after a fifteen-minute break for rain, Mark Butcher was caught off a top-edged pull and James Benning was out cutting to backward point.

Before Stewart Walters had troubled the scorers he was dropped at second slip, but Andrew Davies, the unlucky bowler, gained his just desserts in his next over when Alex Wharf clung on to a difficult chance in the same position. However, when Alistair Brown, who had made it look like a different game at the other end, went for twenty a Glamorgan victory appeared to be on the cards.

Rikki Clarke hit successive straight fours off Davies before he, too, played across the line and was caught off a top edge. But the arrival of Ian Salisbury signaled the start of Surrey's rearguard. Fifty-three runs were added in twelve overs for the seventh wicket. Azhar was handed a life, on 39, when he was put down by Mark Wallace off the bowling of Franklin. But in the very next over Salisbury slapped Wharf straight to short extra cover.

It was then Tim Murtagh's turn to keep Azhar company. The left-hander was dropped at slip early on, but survived long enough see the Brown Caps past the 150-mark. With just three more runs coming from the other end, Mahmood, using controlled aggression, hoisted the Surrey total up to a respectable 200. In the 44th over he on drove the fourth of his four sixes to go to 99, and off Dean Cosker's next ball went, deservedly, to the magical three figures.

When Robert Croft cut Mohammad Akram for four in the sixth over of the visitors' reply, it looked as if Azhar's efforts might end up being in vain. But, moments later, the Glamorgan skipper, playing back, was pinned leg before on the crease by the Pakistani. Mahmood's next over saw Wharf caught at backward point and when Powell and David Hemp went in the space of three balls - Hemp offering no stroke to Akram and losing his off-stump in the process - there was little doubt that Azhar Mahmood's incredible all-round performance would not also be rewarded with victory.